Riverside County Debt Collectors and Harassment Protection
The practices of creditors and debt collectors in California and across the country are governed by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which outlines what collectors can and cannot do to collect payments. Creditor harassment, in some forms, is not only an annoyance, but it can make you afraid to open your mailbox, pick up your phone or check your e-mail for fear that an angry or threatening message from a creditor will be there waiting.
At the law firm of Fernandez & Lauby LLP, our attorneys can help protect you from creditors and can take action against those creditors when their actions cross the line. If you think that you may be the victim of creditor harassment, it is important to speak with one of our lawyers as soon as possible. In Southern California since 1998, we will make sure that your rights are protected and that creditor harassment is stopped.
Protect Your Rights With Riverside Creditor Harassment Lawyers
If you have filed for bankruptcy, an automatic stay will prevent creditors from contacting you. Even if you have not filed for bankruptcy, however, debt collectors still take steps that violate Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, including:
- Contacting consumers outside of the allowed hours for phone contact
- Contacting a consumer known to be represented by an attorney
- Calling or visiting a consumer's work after being advised that this is unacceptable
- Failing to cease communication upon request
- Misrepresentation or deceit
- Communicating with third parties, such as neighbors or family members
- Threatening arrest or legal action that is not permitted
- Using abusive or profane language
- Seeking unjustified amounts
If you continue to have problems with creditors, or they do not stop their behaviors, it may be possible to take legal action and seek monetary damages from those creditors.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation
By contacting an attorney today, you can ensure that your rights are fully protected. Contact our office by e-mail or by calling our toll-free phone number at 888-959-8508 to schedule an initial consultation with one of our creditor harassment protection attorneys.