*** Fernandez & Lauby LLP no longer accepts new Family Law clients. Please feel free to contact us, if you would like us to refer you to an attorney that may be able to assist you. Thank you. ***
If you have personal assets to protect and are considering getting married, it pays to talk to a knowledgeable California family law attorney about the importance of a prenuptial agreement. Prenuptial agreements are binding agreements that stipulate what personal assets will not be considered marital property under California's community property laws, in the event of divorce.
Prenupials & Postnuptial Agreements in Irvine & Riverside
The lawyers at Fernandez & Lauby LLP are ready to help you protect your financial property and assets with a prenup agreement or post-nuptial agreement. With offices conveniently located in Irvine and Riverside, California. If you are thinking about putting together a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement, contact our attorneys by calling 888.959.8508 or email us online.
What is a Post-Nuptial Agreement
A post-nuptial agreement is much the same as a prenup, except the married spouses agree during the marriage that certain property should remain as personal property, rather than community property in the event of contested divorce.
A valid prenuptial agreement is a contract and must meet the following requirements:
- The agreement must be in writing and executed voluntarily
- There must be a full and fair disclosure of all assets and debts at the time of the agreement
- Both signing parties should have their own legal representation
- In the event alimony limitations are included in the agreement, both parties are required by law to have their own attorney
- The agreement should be drafted several months ahead of the date of marriage
- The agreement cannot be unconscionable, giving one party an inordinate amount of property protections, while offering few legal protections to the other party
- Must be executed legally, in front of a notary public
Contact one of our offices in Riverside, Irvine, California, to schedule an opportunity to meet with one of our attorneys about drafting a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement that meets your specific needs. We represent clients throughout Southern California. Email us or call 888.959.8508 to get more information on prenuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements.