If You Are Over 40, You Are In a Protected Class
For many years, employers in Southern California have been under strict federal and state requirements to ensure that older workers are not discriminated against on the basis of age. Workers over 40 years old enter into a protected class of employees. That does not mean that you can't lose your job because of lay-offs or performance issues. It simply means that an employer cannot make decisions about hiring, promotions, or pay and benefits based upon the employee's age.
Free Initial Consultation | Se Habla Espanol | No Attorneys Fees Unless You Win
If you suspect that you are suffering discrimination or that your age is being used as a deciding factor about your job opportunities at your company, talk to an experienced age discrimination litigation attorney at Fernandez & Lauby LLP, today. We provide a free consultation to talk about your circumstances and explain employment laws regarding discrimination. You may be eligible for back pay and punitive damages.
Contingency fees: If your case has merit, we may represent you on a contingency basis. That simply means that you won't pay attorneys fees unless we help you recover money damages for your claim.
From our offices in Riverside, Palm Desert and Irvine, we represent clients with age harassment and discrimination claims against employers throughout Southern California. Our attorneys are experienced and knowledgeable about federal and state law and have successfully mediated many cases resulting in significant compensation for clients in all types of discrimination claims.
What Protections Do You Have?
- An employer may not make a hiring or layoff decision based on your age, race or sex.
- An employer may not deny promotional opportunities based on your age or lay you off because you are over 40 and earn more money.
- You may not be denied health care and other benefits equal to other employees.
- You may not be assigned inappropriate job tasks in hopes that you fail or quit.
- If you develop a disability associated with your age, you have protections and rights under California law and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
You may not be alone. We can represent groups of workers in class action lawsuits against employers with illegal policies resulting in age discrimination.
Learn more about your rights as an older worker. Contact us to arrange a free consultation with a lawyer on our employment law team.